J.K. Riki

Does Your Blog Matter?

Bloggers have a tough job at times, especially early on. To do good work requires a lot of effort. Many times it seems like there’s no one reading what you write. I share this because it’s something all bloggers experience. I want to let others know they’re not alone. We all go through periods where we wonder “Does what I’m doing even matter?”

It’s a personal question I can’t answer for you. I will say that in my own experience people have been affected by what I write even when I don’t know about it. I’ve gotten emails years after writing a post saying how much it meant at the time. Even if I never receive a note, though, those folks are still out there. So if you’re working on a blog and it seems like you never hear back via comments or Twitter or emails or anything, don’t fret. What you’re going through is normal. Keep doing your best.

Still, maybe you don’t even have three fans in the audience? What if your worst fears are true, and there really ISN’T anyone reading? The good news is you can still write for you. Practice, edit, and put your all into your writing just the same*. This may just be a stepping stone to bigger things down the road. You can’t get past the stone you’re on, though, if you don’t step across it. Keep going.

*These are times for me as a Christian to hold to things like Colossians 3:23 which says “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters…” While that may not help everyone to keep at it, it is a useful reminder for me. I also often need prodded on the “with all your heart” bit, as I tend to slack off too often! Still work to be done.

Do you struggle finding an audience for your blog? Leave a comment about your own experience. Include a link to your own writing, maybe a few people will see it and stop by!

15 Comments

1. Adam

I wrote a few blog posts back in the day, and often wondered whether it was worth it. Many bloggers (and creative people generally) feel a faint but sickening worry that nobody notices what they worked so hard to create. Was it worth it? Was it a waste? Does anyone care?

It was a struggle for me, especially at first. More than once, I had to reevaluate my blog and redefine its purposes. My goals toward the end were very different from my goals from the beginning. I figured out what kept me writing, and then kept writing.

In the end, my blog never found the big audience for which I had hoped, but instead found a small number of particularly awesome readers. It also provided a ton of writing practice, and was occasionally cathartic to write. I found value in my blog apart from a big audience… which was great, because my blog never found one.

I am now relieved and satisfied to have finished my blog. It gives me time for other things.

*goes back to playing the newest Zelda game*

1. JK Riki (Post author)

Having had both larger and smaller blog audiences (things were crazy busy back in the high-time Fred the Monkey days!) I have to say, I kind of prefer the more intimate audience. I get to know folks more, and there’s a LOT less spammy trash to wade through. Also a lot less “You suck, why you copy Homestarrunner” comments. šŸ˜›

Hope Zelda is going well! I myself just finished 1 of 4 of the Big Things I Can’t Name Because It Would Be Spoilers and now I’m going back to photographing weapons and creatures.

1. Adam

Zelda is awesome. I completed the Big Thing In The Desert, and am exploring the land and gearing up for the remaining three Big Things That Must Remain Unnamed For Fear Of Spoilers.

1. JK Riki (Post author)

Ah! I started at the Water Big Thing. I love that in this game you can pretty much go and do whatever you want whenever you want! Every person I talk to seems to have done it a bit differently. šŸ™‚

2. asoonmu

I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time making a decision if I should. This post made me think it will be hard but I should try. What do you use to keep track of your traffic?

1. JK Riki (Post author)

I used to use Google Analytics, but honestly these days I don’t even look at numbers. It might not be the wisest thing, but I find I’m a lot happier doing what I feel called to do and letting the rest be what it is. So if one person is reading or 100,000 are, my job remains the same! šŸ™‚

3. Tom Collins

I trust this is something we all would benefit from remembering. Too often does it feel like attention en mass is the way of the world and should you not receive constant affirmation then what you do doesn’t matter. Not always do people leave comments but what you say may touch them in immeasurable ways. I’ve both seen it and experienced it.

1. JK Riki (Post author)

Glad it was helpful as a reminder, Tom!

4. c.l.p.

Tried blogging a while in 2013 and had like four hits a week so I quit pretty quickly. My blog did not matter it seems lol.

1. JK Riki (Post author)

Well hey, those four people liked it enough to keep coming back! But I understand, it can get frustrating at times. And it requires a lot of work, usually, so sometimes a lack of hits can feel like a major blow. Still, you never know where it will lead. We all start with 0 viewers/readers and work from there!

5. Hannah Wilson

Good to know all bloggers go through this šŸ™‚ I had a blog last year that I put a lot of effort into, but I would only get a few hits a week. It was hard to keep at it knowing few people looked at it.

I started a new blog this year, and have a different mindset going into this time around. I’m actually trying to “market” my blog by putting it out there a lot more. Unfortunately people aren’t going to magically stumble upon my blog. I have to make them aware of it. Hopefully it makes a difference!

Either way Colossians 3:23 is a great reminder šŸ™‚

1. JK Riki (Post author)

Yeah, putting work out there is one of those things I wish we didn’t have to do but do, ha ha. It’s the part I like least, but as you say, very few people will stumble onto our work if we don’t let them know it’s even there! šŸ™‚

I find the site Problogger helpful for tips on “marketing” a blog, so if you haven’t checked that out yet you may want to. I don’t use much of the info for this blog (more so for Animator Island), but it’s useful to know and definitely does help a lot.

6. Lillistar

Hello, I enjoy reading your articles. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

7. Doo

This is maybe some thing every blogger has to go through to keep blogging or not. I go through it like every few weeks haha. So good advice.

8. rick

Really helpful article. Really Cool. Thanks.